Thursday, August 21, 2014

Words of Politeness

When was the last time that you did something good for others and that brought a genuine smile at your face.

I was in second year of my Graduation when i went to visit my lower kg Teacher Ulena Miss,having got in to a para medical profession, i was too excited to inform her at the same time worried whether she would recognize me.And,as i was standing outside her staff room planning all kind of possible intro 's i would require to remind her of me, came a voice from behind "oh! Saima has come...Come my child,so happy to see you."A spark in her voice which lightened me in a second,her eyes was glowing more bright as her smile was widening.It did not seem less than a fantasy scene but yes it was reality.Well,we began to chat,and i informed her of my career option,explained her my course what occupational therapy is about.Soon,I could sense her happiness while she smiled.After a short chat,while i was leaving,she said something which is the best words i have heard from any teacher ever."No matter who you are and what position you attain,never be biased to any patient.And never be harsh to them,think how would you feel.Treat them all same."And she continued with lovely advises ,all of them i may not be able to quote accurately,but this sentence i can never forget for it holds a special remembrance in my heart.
                                           Having studied in a Government Medical college, my 4 half years of Graduation journey moved me more close to Humans and suffering.I have spoken to 'N' number of patients belonging to various class,but this incidence is little dear one to me.It was usual OPD day,an old female (in her 70s) dressed in a saree & a tripod by the side came to me for back protocol.I took her history,examined her and gave her a week protocol and asked her to come daily as she stays close and her exercises need supervision.She came the other day,with some more complaints.I patiently listened to all them and gave her assurance.This continued for weeks.One rainy day when OPD load was less,she came to me with her usual doubts to which i answered patiently.And since there were not much patients i continued to chat with her.She kept talking about her house,her grandchildren and many other things.I smiled at her every Gesture.And this way,she became my regular patient.She would enter OPD looking for me.I would greet her,supervise her and Answer her Queries.
One day something unusual happened.This old lady waited for me to be free till the lunch time.As i was leaving,I was too surprised to see her sitting alone at the bench outside and asked her "Kaay zala Aaji,konaji vaat baghta" (What happened granny,whom are you waiting for).
She replied "tujhya saati basli hoti" ( i was waiting for you)
 I asked little worried "kaay zaala "(what happened). 
She answered "kaay naay,tujya saathi laadu banavla ahay"(Nothing,i have made sweet for you)
I asked her with a smile"Magh tumhi aaat ka nai dila"(then why din't you give me inside)
 She replied with a very cute smile"Kami ahay na,aat baaki pan ahay,ani mala tulaz diyaycha hota"(its less & there were others inside and i wanted to give you only)
I laughed and asked" Asa kaa'? (why so?) 
She smiled again and her eyes glowed with an honest reply "mala tujha svabhav khoop aavadta,ani tu changla baghtay,asich raah"(because i like your nature and you see well,stay the same.)
I smiled and said Thankyou,also assuring her that everyone is good here.She laughed loud saying "ho" (ya) while giving me the Laadoo's made by her. She smiled while waving and i smiled along with her.Both the smiles were for different reasons.One spoke of 'Happiness' and other reflected 'Contentment'.As she was leaving i was lost in my thoughts. I kept  wondering"what made her say that,i did not do any thing extra ordinary as i am still a learner,infact i was asking half of the things to my senior.Then what made her like my treatment.My mind kept answering to my other self.'May be the way i spoke to her or May be my patience of listening to her complaints and her stories.May be my smile of recognition as she entered the OPD. May be many other reasons'. Whatever was the reason But Her words of compliments brought an eternal smile,and everytime i think of it,i smile to self."You can call it 'Smile of contentment' .I had done nothing great , i just gave a little extra time and my ear to hear.
I still don't know anything about her,she is a familiar stranger to me who will always be remembered.Here i thank my Teacher ,as i had only followed her advise and that day i realized what it meant.

What i want to point out is "Each person is struggling there own battle"You,Me and Everyone around.We all Project our Frustration on some one else.Boss on employee,Doctor on cranky patients,Teacher on students ,We on our family etc etc.But if we can Suppress and Replace our irritation with patience,(which is the most difficult task i feel),the scene would be different. The world is in need of kindness,little time & love and more of politeness.If you can offer it to those who are deprived of this then it is the biggest charity you have done (in my opinion ). Not everyone can donate huge sums or open an NGO(at-least i cannot at this point) But these Gestures we all can offer(conditions applied) which will definitely make a difference in recipients Life as well ours.

-SSW

This post is for Indispire 26th edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I stopped Writing...

Why i stopped writing and then withered down with no words to carve  on the narrations of  so many perspectives At times it is therapeutic a...